Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Four 6-inch tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups chicken stock or canned chicken broth
- 4 fresh or canned plum tomatoes coarsely chopped with their juices.
- 1 medium potato peeled and cut into 1/3-inch dice
- 1 ancho chile stemmed, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 medium white onion thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves chopped fine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 small zucchini cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small yellow squash cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- Cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 1 lime quartered for garnish
- Sour cream for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Brush both sides of the tortillas with the vegetable oil, cut them into 1/2-inch wide strips and spread them in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until golden.
- In a large saucepan, combine the stock, tomatoes, potato, ancho, onion, garlic, marjoram and 1 teaspoon of salt; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to moderate; simmer until the vegetables are almost tender, about 15 minutes. Add the zucchini and yellow squash; cook for 1 minute longer. Add the chicken and simmer until just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Check the seasoning, salt and pepper if needed.
- Ladle the soup into warmed soup plates or bowls. Float a few tortilla strips on top of each serving and garnish each with several cilantro sprigs, a lime quarter and a dollop of sour cream. Serve the remaining tortilla strips on the side. Enjoy the soup right away, before the tortillas get soggy.