Tomato Meat Sauce Recipe
- 2 cans Italian plum tomatoes 28-oz. cans
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and minced
- 1/4 pound crimini or other white mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 3/4 pound ground veal
- 1/4 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pinch nutmeg freshly grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, loosely packed chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Puree tomatoes in a food processor. Scrape pulp into bowl, then discard seeds. Set tomatoes aside. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until soft, about 20 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, stir in mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes. Add veal and pork, breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon and brown for 8 minutes.
- Combine tomato paste with 2/3 cup water in a small bowl. Reduce heat to medium, then add tomatoe paste mixture to sauce and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in sugar, nutmeg, basil and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low, season with salt and pepper to taste and gently simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 40 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Makes about 7 cups.
- To store sauce, cool to room temperature, then store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or frozen for up to a year.