Thai Pork Salad (Lahp)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 pound Ground pork, beef or chicken
- 8 green beans trimmed and halved crosswise
- Juice from 1/4 of a lemon
- 1/2 cup shallots coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp green onion finely sliced on the bias
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp dried red chili coarsely ground
- 1/2 teas sugar
- A few lettuce leaves
- 1 small cabbage, sliced into 4 wedges about 2 inches wide at the widest point
- In a small saucepan over high heat, bring the stock to a boil. Add the pork and cook for a couple of minutes, tossing often to break up the meat and cook it through fairly evenly. When meat is cooked, remove the pan from the heat. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat to a medium bowl, leaving most of the liquid behind.
- In a small pot with 1 cup of water, squeeze in the 1/4 lemon juice and add the green beans. Cook for about 10 minutes or until just al dente. Drain and reserve.
- Stir in the shallot, green onion, cilantro and most of the mint, reserving few leaves for a garnish. Add the lime juice, fish sauce, chili and sugar; stir to combine everything well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed for a pleasing balance of sour, salty and hot.
- Line a serving platter with lettuce leaves and mound meat mixture in the center. Garnish with the cabbage wedges, the reserved green beans and the reserved mint. Serve at once.