Pork Adobo Recipe
- 2 pounds lean pork cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion chopped fine
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 5 cloves garlic peeled
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- Trim any remaining fat from the pork and cut into 1-inch cubes
- To prepare marinade, mince the garlic and place in a bowl. Add the vinegar, soy sauce, fish sauce and bay leaves, stirring to combine. Add the pork, turning to coat all sides, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the pork from the marinade and drain, reserving the marinade liquid.Heat the oil in a heavy, 4-quart saucepan over moderate heat. when the oil is hot, add the pork and saute until well browned.
- Meanwhile, slice the onion thinly. Add to the pan and saute for 5 or 6 minutes or until translucent and soft. Add the reserved marinade and the chicken broth. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the pork and transfer to a warm oven. Skim off and discard any surface fat and place the pan over moderate heat. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until sauce has thickened and reduced to one-half. Return the pork to the sauce, stirring to combine. The adobo is now ready to serve.
- See note for presentation.