- 2 pounds lamb shoulder boned, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound lean neck of lamb with bones, cut in 1 1/2-inch cubes(optional)
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 3 cups meat stock or a 1/2 and 1/2 mixture of chicken broth and water
- 3/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bouquet garni tied in cheesecloth
- 1 clove garlic peeled and crushed
- 12 small white pearl onions peeled (See note)
- 2 large carrots cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 small new potatoes cleaned with skin on
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown lamb, a few pieces at a time, in 2 tablespoons of butter in a large heavy skillet over moderately high heat. Sprinkle last batch with sugar and let brown slightly, then transfer all to a Dutch oven.
- Add flour and 2 tablespoons of butter in skillet to make a roux, stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and is just lightly browned, slowly stir in stock, tomato puree, 1 teaspoon salt and the pepper, and heat stirring until smooth; pour over meat, add bouquet garni and garlic, cover and bake 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, add onions, carrots and potatoes, cover and bake 30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked but still firm.
- Ladle into a deep platter and serve with crusty bread. Don't forget to take out the bouquet garni.