Irish Soda Bread
- 4 cups flour Option: 2 cups white flour and 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup black raisins
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter for brushing when taking from the oven
- Combine flour, salt, soda, sugar, baking powder and raisins in large bowl and mix well.
- Beat eggs, add butter and buttermilk. Add to above (Make a hollow in center of dry ingredients, pour liquid into center and mix). Mix until its pliable.
- Toss on floured surface and knead 12 times, form into a round loaf or put into a 9-inch cake pan.
- Cut deep cross on top and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F. for one hour. Brush top with melted butter as it comes from the oven.