Indian Tomato Sauce (Kasundi)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 4 oz. Malt vinegar
- 2 - 14.5 oz. cans diced tomato
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a saucepan then add the turmeric, ground red peppers, cumin, ginger and garlic. Stir over a gentle heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and vinegar, then the tomatoes and brown sugar.
- Stir all together and simmer for 1 1/4 hours, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into jars and keep in the refrigerator.