English Tea Scones
- 2 1/2 cups flour all-purpose
- 2 tbsp sugar granulated
- 4 teas. baking powder
- 1/4 teas. salt
- 1/3 cup butter cut into pieces
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup currants dried
- Sparkling White Sugar
- Devonshire Cream
- Combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of dry mixture; set aside.
- Combine eggs, whipping cream and currants in a medium mixing bowl. Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture. Using a fork, stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead by folding and pressing for 10 to 12 strokes or until nearly smooth. Pat dough into an 8-inch square. Using a 2-inch square or rippled square cookie cutter, cut dough into squares.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place scones 1-inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush scones with milk and sprinkle with Sparkling White Sugar. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden. Remove scones from baking sheet; serve warm. Makes 8 to 10 scones.