Clams With Pork Sausage
- 1 pound potatoes small, red, skin on
- kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion medium, chopped
- 8 oz. Italian sausage spicy, casings removed
- 4 pounds topneck clams scrubbed
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups basil leaves loosely packed
- crusty bread for serving
- In a saucepan cover the potatoes with water and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil for about 10 or 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and let cool.
- Heat the olive oil and add the onions, cook until they start to soften. Raise heat and add the sausage, breaking it up. Cook till lightly browned, add the clams, water and potatoes and cover the pan. Cook till the clams open and the potatoes are warmed through.
- Remove from heat and stir in the basil leaves and serve with the crusty bread.