Caribbean Pork and Curry with Sweet Potato Recipe
- 1 .5 pounds pork tenderloin chopped 1/2-inch squares
- 3 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Habanero chile pepper or 2 serrano chiles seeded and minced
- 3 small sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 can chicken broth 14 1/2 oz.
- 1 can diced tomatoes with juice 14 1/2 oz.
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, toss the chopped pork tenderloin with 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1 teaspoon salt.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Add pork and cook until browned on each side. Do not over-crowd the pan. Remove to a plate to reserve.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion, garlic and pepper(s); cook, stirring until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining 2 teaspoons curry powder and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add sweet potatoes, chicken broth and tomatoes with their juices and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until sweet potatoes are tender and sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes.
- Add reserved pork and cook until heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.