Bread Pudding with Southern Whiskey Sauce
- 4 cups bread stale, in 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 cups milk
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 stick butter softened
- Whiskey sauce Ingredients:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Whiskey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the stale bread cubes in a bowl and pour in the milk, mixing so that all the stale bread is saturated with the milk.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs with sugar until well blended. Stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter and raisins to the egg mixture. Stir the soaked bread into the egg mixture, mixing well. Let stand for 15-20 minutes. Be sure the egg has been absorbed completely into the bread.
- Move the mixture to a greased baking dish and bake until firm or until a toothpick comes out smooth, about 45 minutes. Let cool in the dish.
- Whiskey Sauce Preparation:I think it's best to use a stand mixer or hand mixer to get these ingredients whipped thoroughly.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks together until thick and pale. Reserve.
- Slowly melt the butter and sugar together in a sauce pan. Stir in the Whiskey. Be sure the sugar has completely dissolved then pour the reserved egg yolks into the sugar and butter mixture, whipping constantly until well thickened.
- To serve, spoon the hot bread pudding onto dessert plates and spoon over some whiskey sauce and pass the remainder at the table.