Boston Baked Beans
- 1 pound dried navy beans or great northern beans
- 1/4 pound of salt pork
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup boiling water
- Wash beans; soak overnight in enough water to be at least 2-inches above beans.
- For the salt pork, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil over high heat. Add salt pork and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and let cool. Cut salt pork into 1/2-inch pieces and set aside.
- Drain beans and place in large saucepan and cover with water; add onion and simmer about 1-hour or until beans are tender.
- Drain and turn into 2-quart bean pot or oven-proof casserole.
- Combine molasses, brown sugar, salt and dry mustard; pour the one cup of boiling water over beans; add additional water, if necessary, to cover.
- Place reserved salt pork on top, cover and bake at 300 F. degrees for about 6 hours, adding water if top seems dry.
- Uncover for last half hour of baking.