- 3/4 pound bacon coarsely chopped
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Saute chopped bacon in heavy 10" large skillet over medium-high heat until brown and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels; drain and reserve 6 tablespoons drippings from skillet.
- Brush 10-inch-diameter ovenproof skillet with 2 tablespoons reserved drippings. Place skillet in oven to heat.
- Whisk cornmeal, salt, baking soda and baking powder in medium bowl to blend. Add buttermilk, egg and remaining 4 tablespoons reserved drippings. Whisk until just blended; mix in sauteed bacon.
- Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake corn bread until firm to touch and golden, about 25 minutes. Turn corn bread out onto rack and cool.