Spicy Lemon Pickle
- 10 Meyer lemons quartered, seeded and sliced 1/4" thick
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp. brown mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
- 12 small Thai chiles, halved or 6 Serranos,
- 8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 2" piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp. red chile powder or cayenne
- In a large bowl, rub lemons with salt and turmeric, pack into a sterilized 1-qt. glass jar. Cover with lid and place on your counter or near a window with direct sunlight. Let sit 1 week, shaking jar daily to disperse brine.
- After 1 week, heat oil in a 10"skillet over medium-high heat; cook mustard, cumin and fenugreek seeds until they pop, 1-2 minutes.
- Add chiles, garlic and ginger; cook until golden, 4-6 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and chile powder.
- Pour over lemons; reseal lid, shake to combine and chill 1 week to infuse flavors. Enjoy.